Effective Internet Search: About the Book
The unique approach to structuring the book allows us
to discuss the topic in a way that
is independent of any one search tool or engine. Numerous examples
are given along with the explanation of
concepts. However, most of the details of particular featured search engines are
presented in a longer section of the book, our
Manual. In the latter, each featured search engine is
treated in a homogeneous fashion, side by side with other
featured engines. This allows for ease of comparison with respect to each
kind of search engine capability (feature). [Click here
for a more conceptual explanation of the architecture involved.]
Features Control Center stands between the concepts with
examples and the Reference Manual parts of the book.
Features Control Center is particularly useful when the book
is used in its electronic format. That's because it provides a
hub from which it is possible to hyperlink between concepts and
implementation details. This "star topology" network of
hyperlinks is supplemented by two "peer-to-peer topology"
|We have restyled the book such that, as of August,
2005, it has the look-and-feel of a conventional printed
book, but without sacrificing any of the benefits of the
One of these goes directly and
bi-directionally between each concept and its corresponding
implementation description for each featured search engine.
Another, allows you to navigate back and
forth between corresponding search engine capabilities, as
well as between related capabilities of the same search
To increase the
effectiveness and efficiency of your Internet searches, key
concepts will be explored in each chapter. Information is
arranged sequentially, with one concept building on the
Following is an outline of the book contents
structure. For more details, see the
Table of Contents page.
Each chapter contains unique content, summarized below.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Searching
Chapter 2: Search Tools & Strategies
- Evolution of the Internet and the Web.
- Introduction to search engines featured in this
- Fundamental principles of how all search engines
- Explanation of different kinds of search engines.
- A simple step-by-step search strategy.
- Tips to solve typical search problems.
Chapter 3: Search Entry Basics
Chapter 4: Sample Search Projects
- Introduction to parameters.
- Use of parameters for effective searches.
- Features common to most search engine interfaces.
- Basic types of search entry interfaces.
Chapter 5: More Search Interfaces
- Application of search techniques to real-life
- Practical mini-courses on the use of numerous search
engines and the meta search utility, Copernic.
- Differences in search engine databases and
subsequent search results produced.
- Superiority of particular engines for conducting
certain kinds of searches.
- Quirks, technical problems and software bugs in
search engines, and how to investigate and, hopefully,
User interface features to handle:
Chapter 6: Advanced Search Options
- Specialized search requirements entry.
- Findings display.
- Findings handling.
- Search support tools.
Advanced searching techniques, particularly the
effective use of parameters and filters for various search
engine interfaces including:
- Term-based filters.
- Metadata-based filters.
- Parameters to display and handle search results.
- Parameters to customize search engine user
A powerful electronic template of search engine
features to help you:
- Evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of
various search engines.
- Experiment with summary, multi-level matrices of
comparative search engine features.
- Explore cross-links between Chapters 3, 5, and 6 and
their related Reference Manual sections, examining the pattern of
search engine features in varying levels of detail.
Refer to the "Search
Engine Features Control Center" page on this website
for more details.
The Reference Manual serves a vital role in this book,
and makes up more than half of the book content. Hyperlinks to chapters
help enhance book content and form a handy and
comprehensive reference manual.